Traveling to Uganda
What’s the location of Uganda? Uganda branded as “the Pearl of Africa” by Sir Winston Churchill in 1908 after his great visit in 1907 is geographically located in the Eastern part of the African continent sharing borders with Kenya in the East, South Sudan in the North, Rwanda in the South West, Tanzania in the South and Democratic Republic of Congo in the West.
How to get to Uganda? Planning for a visit to Uganda from different countries of the World you can easily access it by air transport means since there are many flights of different airlines flying into the country from different countries and out of the country to different countries favouring travelling of all travellers and other visitors to the country.
Where to land in Uganda. Usually travelling from your home country by air transport means you will land in Entebbe international airport which is 37km south west of Kampala, the capital city of Uganda.
What’s required for entry permission. To be issued with entry permission to Uganda, you are required to present three required documents at the customs including valid passport, entry visa and yellow fever vaccination card as listed below.
- Valid passport. A passport in Uganda is considered valid when it’s still six months valid to its expiration date or more and when it’s less, this Passport is considered invalid.
- Entry Visa. This is a document which grants permission of staying in Uganda for some specific number of days, it’s issued on arrival or you can even apply for it in advance before your travel dates at any Ugandan embassy or consulate in your home country.
- Valid yellow fever vaccination card. This is a document which approves you to be free from yellow fever, it’s signed and approved by a doctor from your home country.
How to transfer from airport. There are two options of transferring from airport whereby you either hire on arrival special taxi services or you arrange the pickup with a local tour operator. Its best recommended particularly for tourists that you arrange all pick up transport services with a local tour operator than using on arrival hired transport services as you will be overcharged.
Arranging with local tour operator, you will be welcomed by Safari guide or driver and transfer up to your hotel, check in for dinner and overnight stay.
Where to stay on arrival. On arrival you can either spend an overnight in the booked hotel which is located in the nearby Entebbe town or transfer up to Kampala city if the booked hotel is located there depending on suitability of the Itinerary.
Which means of transport are used in Uganda? There are three means of transport used while in Uganda including Water transport means, Road transport means and Air transport means.
Road transport means are mostly used in the Uganda’s tourism sector followed by air transport means while Water transport means are not widely used but used to some extent mostly to access exciting places which are situated on the islands and shores.
What’s the nature of accommodation in Uganda? Uganda’s accommodation is of high quality, different exciting places to visit are situated with different accommodation facilities reserved for tourists to stay on a visit.
These accommodation facilities are categorised into three including budget, mid-range and luxury facilities which are characterised with good services offered at affordable prices.
Is Uganda characterised with different services? Exactly Uganda is a rewarding destination characterised with different services offered in different towns and cities including banking services, Forex exchange services, internet services, shopping malls for shopping like supermarkets, Baltics and more, Communication services like phone shops, service centres for different Telecommunication companies, Car service centres, fuelling stations, mobile money services, fast foods, Electricity and more.
Is Uganda secure? Security wise Uganda is more stable when compared to other East African countries; different police stations are distributed in different regions of the country to protect residents and visitors to the country. Armed officers are also deployed in major places of threat to provide protection.
Tourists and other visitors to the country are not advised to drive and move at night particularly those who are exploring Uganda on Self-drive. While in over crowed places like Kampala down town, it’s advised that you keep all your gadgets inside the bag and keep it safely to avoid being taken by thieves.
Food in Uganda. Uganda is recorded with different local foods including Matooke, Cassava, Potatoes and more which are cooked in different restaurants but also international food staffs are prepared in different restaurants which serve international clients and other visitors to Uganda.
Culture in Uganda. Uganda the pearl of Africa is recorded with different cultural tribes plus different exciting cultural places including Kasubi tombs, Royal palace, National theatre, Uganda Museum, Ndere centre and more.
Some of tribes in Uganda include Baganda, Bateso, Banyankole, Batooro, Bakiga, Basoga, Basamya, Bagisu, Bacholi, and more.
Currency used in Uganda. Uganda’s currency is called Ugandan shillings, other currencies used which are exchangeable in Uganda include United states of America dollar, Euro, United Kingdom Pound, and other currencies of different countries but you will be required to convert all these currencies into Ugandan shillings via Forex beaurals which are situated in different regions of the country majorly cities and big towns.
What’s the nature of Uganda’s climate? Uganda majorly experiences two seasons per year including dry season and rainy season, high precipitation is experienced in the Central and Western part of Uganda while Northern Uganda is highly dominated by dry season characterised with high temperatures.
Which mode of travelling to use while in Uganda. Usually tourists use three travelling options while in Uganda to travel around this amazing destination visiting its different exciting places of interest including National Parks, Sanctuaries, Game reserves, Cultural sites, towns, different adventure sites and more.
These places of interest are located in different regions of Uganda including Western region, Central, Northern, Eastern and Southern part of Uganda.
These three travelling options include hiring a Car and go self-driving, use of public transport services or arrange your transport logistics with a local tour operator. Use of public means is not recommended as it’s not convenient, its time wasting due to delaying on the way and not secure as you may lose your luggage and other properties on the way if you tend to use like a taxi or bus.
The best recommended means for travellers include hiring a Car and go self-driving or arrange your transport services with a local tour operator.
Best way of exploring Uganda on budget. The best way of exploring Uganda on budget is choosing to use cost friendly services which include accommodation, transportation services, meals and activities performed.
For transportation its better you hire a Car with a good car rental agency in Uganda and go self-driving to its major points of interest, if not budget self-contained rooms hiring camping gears at affordable prices and go camping is the best option.
If not self-driving you can also book for a customised Safari with a local tour operator but sticking on budget services to be used.
Best time of Visiting Uganda. Best time is usually influenced by some factors which include type of season, when is best sighting experienced and accessibility.
Uganda usually experienced two seasons including dry and rainy season, during rainy season, high precipitation is characterised and low temperatures while during dry season, high temperatures are experienced with low precipitation rate. Its majorly recommended that you visit Uganda during months when there is medium rainfall and sunshine.
Where to go while in Uganda. Uganda is recorded with several exciting places to visit which are situated in its different regions. These exciting places include National Parks, Game reserves, Sanctuaries, Cultural sites, Wetlands and other adventure sites.
- National Parks. Uganda is recorded with ten National Parks which are located in different regions of Uganda; these Parks include Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Murchison falls National Park, Queen Elizabeth National Park, Kibale Forest National Park, and Mgahinga Gorilla National park, Lake Mburo National Park, Semliki National Park, Kidepo Valley National Park, Moutain Rwenzori National Park and Mountain Elgon National Park.
- Uganda is recorded with two popular sanctuaries which usually take travellers’ minds including Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary which is popularly known for the Rhinoceros, it’s located in the central part of Uganda in Nakitoma along Kampala-Masindi- Gulu highway.
The other is Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary which is located on the waters of Lake Victoria on an island which is part of Koome group of Islands, it’s popularly known for habiting the uncared and rescued orphaned Chimpanzee primates.
- Game reserves. Uganda is recorded with several game reserves which provide habitat to different Wildlife species including Wild animals, Primates, Reptiles, insects and different species of birds.
Some of the reserves include Bugungu Wildlife reserve, Karuma wildlife reserve, Kanyanchu Wildlife reserve, Pian Upe Wildlife reserve and more.
- Cultural sites. Uganda is recorded with different cultural sites with most of them being situated within the suburbs of Kampala city; these sites include Kasubi tombs, Royal palace, Uganda museum, Ndere centre, National theatre, Igongo cultural centre, Uganda Martyrs Namugongo shrines and more.
- Some of the wetlands and swampy areas in Uganda which attract tourists’’ minds include Mabamba swamp which is popularly known for the shoebill species of birds, Bigodi wetland in Kibale Forest National Park, Lwera swamp as you head to Masaka and more.
- Adventure sites. Some of the adventure sites to go for adventure tours while in Uganda include Mountains like Mountain Rwenzori, Mountain Elgon and more, Rivers like River Nile, Lakes like Lake Albert, Kyoga, Edward, Victoria and more, Falls like Murchison fall, Sippi falls and more.
What to see while in Uganda. Uganda is recorded with different tourist attractions including Wildlife Species like Wild animals, Primates, Reptiles, insect species, plant species and different bird species.
- Wild animals. Uganda is recorded with different Wild animals which are habited in its major tourist sites including National Parks, Game reserves and Sanctuaries. These Wild animals include African Big fives (Elephants, Buffaloes, Leopards, Rhinoceros and Lions), they are called the African big fives because they were very difficult to hunt on foot and very dangerous to human life.
Additionally other wild animals on list include shy endangered Mountain Gorillas, Giraffes, Zebras, Bush bucks, reed bucks, hearte beasts, Kobs, Sitatunga, Forest hogs, spotted hyenas, Warthogs, cheetah, bush pigs, and more.
- Some of the prominent and popularly known primates to sight while in Uganda include Chimpanzee primates, Golden monkeys, Black and White Colobus monkeys, Blue Monkeys, Red tailed monkeys, L’Hoest monkeys, vervet, patas monkeys, Mangabey, baboons and more.
- Most common reptiles sighted while on Uganda Safari vacation include Chameleon, Geckos, and snakes like Gabon viper, black cobra, python, Egyptian cobra and more.
Insect Species. Uganda is also recorded with several insect species which are sighted while in Uganda including butterflies, bees, mosquitoes, mantis and more.
- Bird Species. Uganda is recorded with over a thousand bird species which are recorded sightable in its major birding hotspots including those which are endemic to the country and non-endemic species.
Some of the major birding hotspots in Uganda include Queen Elizabeth National Park, Bigodi wetland, Mabamba Swamp, Lwera Swamp, Lake Mburo National Park, Semliki National Park, Bwindi impenetrable National Park, Entebbe botanical gardens and more.
What to do while in Uganda. Uganda is an exciting destination to go recorded with several exciting activities which are usually performed while on an exciting Uganda Safari vacation.
These exciting activities performed include Mountain Gorilla trekking, Chimpanzee tracking, Golden monkey tracking, Launch trip cruise, Game drives, White water rafting Bungee jumping, Zip lining, Nature walks, Mountain hiking, Mountain biking, Batwa cultural trail experience, Gorilla and Chimpanzee habituation experience, Bird watching, Quad biking, Kayaking and more
Nature of people in Uganda. Uganda is composed of different tribes of people who are living in its different regions including Baganda, Bagisu, Batooro, Banyankole, Bateso, Baluli, Bacholi, Basoga, Bagwere, Bajaluwo and more; the highest numbers of people on Uganda’s population are Baganda who belong to the Buganda Kingdom.
Most of Uganda’s tribes are welcoming people particularly the Baganda people who are dominating the Central part of Uganda where the capital city of Uganda “Kampala” is located. Therefore for any traveller willing to visit Uganda don’t be scared of the local people as there are more welcoming and friendly.
What’s the capital city of Uganda? The Capital city of Uganda is Kampala which is geographically located in the Central part of Uganda.
What to pack for a Uganda Safari? Some of the most requirements to pack for a Uganda Safari include Wearing gears like enough clothes, shoes and more, some snacks for eating while on Safari, some medication recommended from your home doctor, insect repellents and other gadgets used during your leisure time like Personal computers, tablets, mobile phone, cameras, and more.
Some gifts to donate to the local people and your appreciated good service providers are also of importance.
Is it safe to drink unboiled water in Uganda? It’s not advised to drink un boiled water while in Uganda because you may get some infectious diseases, so you either buy packed water or if you have arranged with a local tour operator, water will be provided to you for use.
Is it safe to book on last minute? It’s not advisable to book on last minute as chances are high that you will miss out on some services which are required for your Safari like if you prefer Gorilla trekking, Chimpanzee tracking or Golden monkey you may book on last yet the Permits for these activities are already over, even you may fail accommodation to get rooms for accommodation.
So it’s advisable that you book in time such that all the Safari logistics are arranged and confirmed in time.
Which modes of payment are used for booking a Uganda Safari? Usually there are three options of paying for a booked Safari or any service required, these options include either wiring money via Bank transfer, pay by credit card or pay your money in cash on arrival.
How to choose the best travel plan? Usually when planning for a visit to Uganda and decided on which activities to do its better and recommended that you inquire from a local tour operator about the suitable and flexible travel plan or itinerary to follow while on your Uganda Safari vacation.